The Unconquerable Soul

Though one should conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, he who conquers his own self, is the greatest of all conquerors! ~ Gautama Buddha

Friday, December 09, 2005

I have an event that I must take my youth council tomorrow afternoon. So unfortunately, I won't be able to attend Derrick L. Briggs Book Club Story Series. I wanted to share with you something that I wrote on my former blog that still speaks to me today. It was written early March 2005. This is the story I wanted to read.

Penny with a Hole in it.

I have never been in LOVE. I would say I've been infatuated with the concept of being in LOVE. I've been infatuated with some of the men and women I've dealt with even to the point when we would say I LOVE you. To me, infatuation is an overwhelming feeling.

Many times I have been attracted to people just because of their ambition and loving spirit. Most of these people were very similar to me. They had issues. These issues prevented the IN part of LOVE. Issues like the ability to reveal emotion, self-esteem, financial and even spiritual thoughts. Dealing with black men, it is a whole other ball game than dealing with black woman. Much is bottled and sealed up.


It seems everyone I meet has their guard up: the guard that is created by someone that has done them wrong in the past. Instead of nature taking its time, (this is what has been happening to me) I or they do something that messes things up. This year, I'm on this keep it real vibe with the people I am attempting to get it there with aka get in a relationship with. The black man's pride is something I'll probably have to work on with myself and whoever is my partner for the rest of my life.

I believe that true LOVE is unconditional. It's a place where people are accepting of each others’ faults and insecurities. Also, a place where two people meet and share their lives with each other. In Shall We Dance?, (yes, I went to the movies by myself to see this movie) Susan Sarandon’s (my home girl) character says something in essence like this: "we marry someone because they will bear witness of our life." Dang, that is strong. Someone that knows where you’ve been, what you’re doing and where you’re going.

My involvement in numerous things has prevented me in allowing myself to really tell someone about all of the things I'm doing or have done. Moreso, I don't think anyone is really interested in what I do. The LOVE I guess I believe in will surpass all of that what you’re doing to the point when my partner contributes to what I'm doing instead of listening. And this works both ways. I'm ready to make time for someone in my hectic schedule. Ready to come home and have someone to lay with. Ready to argue and all that other stuff.

At last week’s Bible study, my Pastor mentioned that we won't find the perfect LOVER. We have to love someone for who they are, not what they are doing, how much money, what school they graduated from. We all have issues. This drove me to the position to put up with some things I may not like. Because $%^t, I'm not perfect either.

It appears when we pass the oh, so famous stage that John Legend sings about.. you know, "we past that infatuation stage," we see people for who they are and that's imperfect. And the people I've been involved with have had a difficult past. So, let's work on each other. Have that friendship along with that relationship understanding. But, it never gets that far. You know when Renee Zellweger in Jerry McGuire says, "I love him for the man that he is and the man that he is going to become." I stood in the place where I liked him for the damaged man that he is and the healed man he will become.

Revealing one’s self is ideal with beginning something real. I seriously want someone to reveal who they are and I do the same so we can work off of each other. Do that Love Jones thing, "Get Together. Fall Apart. Start Over." So, I'm guessing you may think I'm hopeless like a penny in a hole in it. Lol.

See for me, I like, lust, kiss, hug, and most importantly LOVE hard. And when this is returned, I am unstoppable. But, wait, this hasn't happened to me yet. Nope, but just the idea of one day being IN LOVE puts a smile on my face.

11 Comments:

Blogger admin said...

You said it quite well. Like India Arie sang, I'm "ready for love."

December 09, 2005 5:41 PM  
Blogger Liber8Lyph said...

Too damn true!

December 09, 2005 6:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, l'amour. Something we all want (and some of us want secretly). I could use some of that right now.

Me.

December 10, 2005 11:05 PM  
Blogger Rose said...

You'll experience that kind of love. If you can give it out, you can receive it in....

December 11, 2005 2:53 AM  
Blogger Clay said...

hmmmmmmm i will quote whoopi goldberg: "Love ... isn't it grand?"

December 11, 2005 9:51 PM  
Blogger Stephen A. Bess said...

The challenge is being mature enough to accept love. It's too powerful for most people. They run away from it and pretend that it was some sort of phantasm.

December 12, 2005 10:01 AM  
Blogger ShawnQt said...

I wanted to see you at the even, but the kids come first. I got your message, didn't see you though. holla back at me.

December 13, 2005 12:00 AM  
Blogger prodigalsun said...

Its true that we as black men always have their guards up... which is why I suspect you havent been in love yet...

I am beginning to think that I am a rare specimen because I wear my heart on my sleeve. I trust until given cause not to... I go into relationships thinking that they will work out. I have been in love.

But the bad thing about that is that you can be disappointed and heartbroken. I have been that too.

But I remain an eternal optimist. You cant live your life afraid of being let down because you may never experience anything worthwhile.

Take these guards down... live a little. And you might in fact experience love.

December 14, 2005 4:32 PM  
Blogger Brea said...

Well said.

December 14, 2005 11:12 PM  
Blogger WiseYoungMan said...

Sometimes love is something that needs to be nutured and and fed in order for it to flourish. The question is now that you have prepared the ground work in yourself to sow the seeds, are you also ready to maintain it and be dilligent with it as well.

Just my thoughts

December 16, 2005 1:57 PM  
Blogger the young people's professor said...

how was the weekend?

December 20, 2005 3:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter