The Unconquerable Soul

Though one should conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, he who conquers his own self, is the greatest of all conquerors! ~ Gautama Buddha

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Thanksgiving Weekend Recap... this is a long one, LOL

On Wednesday morning, I was excited about my plans to go see Rent with my best friend and her boyfriend. Throughout the day, I was cheesing hard.

Immediately after work, I began to cook at a local church. (The youth council that I advise sponsored a Thanksgiving Dinner for the less fortunate.) Once I started bugging out with my kids, I couldn't leave them while there was work that needed to be done.

I took a couple of my kids walking around to promote for our dinner. (They needed me as the MUSCLE. LOL!) So we went to the YMCA affordable housing facility, the YWCA Battered Women’s Shelter (I lived in that building for a couple of months), and a couple of half way houses. There were many people in need and were happy we extended an invitation. The moment I had to drop a tear was when we entered a soup kitchen that I knew existed two blocks from my job, but never had a chance to volunteer. As we walked downstairs, we were graciously greeted by the volunteers. The church was JAMMED packed with families.

Throughout my life, I have been conscious of the less fortunate because there were many moments in my young life where we didn't know when was the next time we were going to eat. (Thank God for the nasty school lunch.) Anyhow, seeing those kids hit the heart. All I could mutter was "Thank You! Jesus!" We passed out our flyers to the people being served. Again, they were all grateful. After leaving the church, the young ladies that I was protecting (LOL) were in complete shock by the total experience and vowed to work on a couple more projects for the less fortunate.

I ended up going home around 11:30 to start making my sweet potato pies (it's been my job for the past ten years for Thanksgiving and Christmas). My roommates left for the weekend and it was SCARY being in the house alone. It was truly a time when I could be loud while doing the hanky panky. LMAO! Anyways, I didn't have a blender so I had to mix by hand; it was no joke. I ended up wrapping the pies around 3:30am.

Thursday. I'm at the church at 9:30 am. We did another street team run at some other places like the Salvation Army where we could find people who may be interested in coming to our dinner. The day ran very smoothly. My kids took control and served everyone graciously. We had many moments of laughter and Kool-aid smiles. I was upset that they didn't like the holiday punch I made. LOL... they added a five pound bag of sugar (my goodness). One of my mentees put his foot in the mac-n-cheese. I swear to goodness it was BANGIN!

We ended up leaving the church at 4:30 pm. I was really tired and didn't have an appetite, but my Momma wasn't hearing that. When I arrived at my mother’s house, my mom told me that her Friend (if you know what I mean) is coming over, but later on tonight (I knew this was going to happen... but since she said later on, I was quickly planning my escape after dinner.) But, like many things in my life, it didn't go as planned. As soon as my mom fixed my plate, a doorbell rang. (YES, It was him) My heart started racing. I went into my lil brother's room and said, "I can't believe I’m about to meet Mommie’s friend." He replied, "well, you gonna have to deal with it, just like I have to almost everyday." I wanted to smack that boy, but I didn't only because it was a holiday. LOL.

So My Mom's friend walked in and I headed to the living room, greeted him politely and then headed back to the kitchen to eat. I thought we were going to eat together, but we didn't. My brother ended up eating in his room so my sister and I ate together while my moms was entertaining her friend. My sister was telling me that the friend is over the house too much. Oh yeah, did I mention he really does look 29? (Not to downplay my moms; she is 43 and looks like she could be much younger.) Anyway, he looks just as young as some of my friends. LOL.

About twenty minutes later, my mom announced that she is leaving to go to her Friend’s cousin's house. Why did the baby in me want to cry? My mom and I were supposed to go to my grandmothers house. She left us. I will admit I was upset. I went home and had a big piece of pie and was asleep by 7:30pm. It had been a long day.

**************************************

I don't feel like typing my Circuit City story.... Friday, I went from 3am to 9am and left empty handed... by 10:30 am I arrived home and The Unconquerable Soul was the proud owner of a new PC from BestBuy. Go Me!

**************************************

My sister played me! She agreed on Thanksgiving to accompany me to the movies. I thought I was going to finally see Rent. I ended up staying in the house from 10:30am Friday morning until 10:30pm Saturday night. In that time, I just relaxed and meditated about my life and the world. It was truly regenerating... but it also brought forth the agony of relieving stress alone. LOLOL! (I know tmi, but shoot I had safe fun, LOL)

My roommates came home and got twisted as I was getting ready to go to my homeboy's housewarming party.. y'all know him as Shawnqt... his place is HUGE. I think I’m gonna move in. LOLOL! I'm so happy that got me out of the house. He keeps great company, so it was nice to see some familiar faces as I walked through the door.

My boy shawty and I ended up going to 42nd and watching the 12:45am showing of Rent. Y'all know I had to hit up Starbucks for a double shot of espresso. I truly am a dork because as soon as it started I wanted to tear up (shut up, don't hate on this sensitive brotha.) I thoroughly enjoyed the movie! Taye, Tracy, Jesse, Adam, Ida and especially Rosario WORKED the Fyck out with their VOCALS. I'm going to see it again soon.

This is getting wwwwwaaaayyyy too long but I’m almost done. I really don’t want to forget this weekend.

Sunday, I managed to get up for church on time and I was jamming to praise and worship by 9:30. I can't even begin to tell you how the spirit of the Lord was up all over my church. Pastor hadn't even preached yet and he felt the need to call people to the altar and over 15 people joined. Pastor preached on
2 Samuel 22:1-4. I just read the entire chapter and when I say David's Song of Praise was Deep y'all need to check it out RIGHT NOW. (click on the link) I praised the Lord as if I was at church by myself. I closed my eyes and lifted my hands with praise. Tears began to fall and I kept saying, "thank you Jesus! Hallelujah!" I kept getting louder and louder.

I don't deserve the many blessings that the Lord gives me but because of his Grace and Mercy, I am here thriving on what I have in order to bring forth the plan he has in store for me. I pray for his guidance. This week I'm fasting sun up to sun down. Please pray for me. PEACE!

4 Comments:

Blogger Waddie G. said...

hey there...I had a similar weekend as you when it came to shopping and seeing Rent. I was almost getting teary-eyed watching the movie...Real men cry.

November 30, 2005 7:56 PM  
Blogger lj said...

long weekend, huh. I still have'nt seen Rent, most of my friends look at me like I'm crazy when I suggest seeint it. Guess I'm gonna have to go it alone one of these days. Man you know you need to try to get to know your mom's "friend" a little bit to make sure he's treating her right.

December 01, 2005 2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did nothing this weekend but read and work on stuff. Let your mom's have a little fun...you'll have your turn for fun eventually.

December 01, 2005 5:14 PM  
Blogger admin said...

OK. I have a few points I need to hit.

Hanky panky while your roommates were gone on Thanksgiving? You need to expound on that. You changed the subject so fast.

I agree with Captain's Cabinet. Give your Mom's friend a fair chance. Don't prejudge him based on his age.

I did Best Buy on Black Friday 2004 and got my laptop. The store was total chaos. I don't know how ya'll do it in New York, but there were cops at the Best Buy here in case anything jumped off. I skipped it this year.

And tell me what subject you teach.

December 01, 2005 6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter